Jun 19, 2011

36 weeks (late)


This post is a little late. We were really busy last week, but this week we don't have anything going on after work except my doctor's appointment. Tuesday is the first time they check my cervix, and it's probably the only time I'll ever be excited about that kind of appointment haha!!

I tested positive for Group B Strep at my last appointment. This just means that the bacteria is on my skin. I'm not sick or infected, but I am carrying the bacteria. Just because I tested positive now doesn't mean I always would or that I even would during my next pregnancy. The only thing that it means for the pregnancy is that I will be given antibiotics in my IV drip during labor and delivery to make sure the bacteria doesn't pass to the baby during a vaginal delivery. If the bacteria passed to the baby, he could get really sick. The chances of that happening if antibiotics are given is rare, so we are not worried :-)

The nurse also pressed on my belly and said that the baby's head is low in my pelvis. That's a good sign :-) I can feel that he's started to drop. Aside from not being able to see my belly button from above anymore, I can feel my bladder being flattened. Zach and I took the baby basics class at the hospital which taught basic things like bathing, feeding, diapering, swaddling, etc... This week I'm going to look into the infant CPR class. This one isn't free, but in the chance that we need to know something like that, we both want to be prepared.

I can't honestly say that I'm feeling great anymore. I seem to sleep good, when I can actually sleep. I get up at least three times a night to pee, and I roll a lot. Rolling is really hard to do lol. There is so much weight in my belly that any position I am lying in hurts. My feet ache all of the time and they are pretty constantly sausage feet. I think I'm getting ready to be done being pregnant. I really want to hold our baby boy :-) A little more than 3 weeks to go!!!

Update from babycenter.com:

Your baby is still packing on the pounds — at the rate of about an ounce a day. She now weighs almost 6 pounds and is more than 18 1/2 inches long. She's shedding most of the downy covering of hair that covered her body as well as the vernix caseosa, the waxy substance that covered and protected her skin during her nine-month amniotic bath. Your baby swallows both of these substances, along with other secretions, resulting in a blackish mixture, called meconium, will form the contents of her first bowel movement.

At the end of this week, your baby will be considered full-term. (Full-term is 37 to 42 weeks; babies born before 37 weeks are pre-term and those born after 42 are post-term.) Most likely she's in a head-down position. But if she isn't, your practitioner may suggest scheduling an "external cephalic version," which is a fancy way of saying she'll try to coax your baby into a head-down position by manipulating her from the outside of your belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment