Jun 4, 2011

Prenatal Massage

I haven't been too uncomfortable or sore..mostly just my back and my feet at times, but I decided to get a prenatal massage on Friday since Zach went down to Texas for the weekend. Well, I guess I was disappointed. I've never had a massage so I didn't know what to except, but I was expecting it to feel absolutely amazing to the point where I would actually fall asleep (and I can't sleep through anything at all). And maybe a regular massage would feel that way, but a prenatal massage is different in a way because it is mostly for relaxation and the massage isn't too intense. She had my lay on my side while she worked one side of my back and leg, and then roll over to do the same on the other side. I think I had a hard time relaxing because I've never had a massage before and I'm not used to a stranger touching me so personally. For the last part, she had my lay on my back to do my arms and neck/face. I've been told and read that you shouldn't lay on your back later in the pregnancy because the weight of the uterus can pinch a main blood vessel to the heart on the spine. I knew this, but figured that a few minutes wouldn't hurt. But after five minutes, I started to feel dizzy and a little nauseous. I wasn't really thinking anything of it until my arms both started to shake and I started sweating. I started to feel like circulation was actually being cut off somewhere and like I might pass out, so I told her I had to roll over. I guess I didn't really believe that lying on your back could be dangerous. Sometimes I wake up in bed on my back, but our mattress is so soft and I have so many pillows that I'm never actually flat on my back. The table I was on for the massage was really flat, so I think that's what made the difference. Needless to say, I guess it wasn't the greatest experience. I kind of wish I hadn't spent the money on it, but I didn't know. I think a real massage where you actually lay on your belly and/or back would be nice, so maybe I'll have to do that after the baby sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment